Holy moly. It has been HOT in Ottawa. So hot, that over the past couple of weeks, I’ve felt it to be completely acceptable (encouraged, even) to eat ice cream in between meals, AS meals, and multiple times in the same day. If you’ve been on a similar eating pattern, and you’re looking to stir it up, home-ify, and health-ify a little, then this recipe is for you. And if you’re not able to enjoy regular ice cream due to its dairy-nature, then this is definitely for you!
AND – It’s hard to believe that the magic ingredient behind it all is sweet potato! If it’s got a serving of vegetables, you can practically call it a meal, so, that’s a win. 😀
Makes 4 servings.
– 1 large sweet potato
– 1 can coconut milk
– 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (before melting)
– 1 tbsp natural vanilla extract
1) Pierce sweet potato several times all over with a fork. Microwave sweet potato for 6 minutes, turning halfway through. Remove sweet potato from microwave and set aside to cool until safe to handle.
2) Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds, remove, stir, then microwave for and additional 45 seconds, remove and stir once again. Ensure all chocolate chips are melted.
3) Pour coconut milk into a blender or food processor. Add vanilla and melted chocolate. Cut sweet potato in half and carefully scoop all of the flesh into the blender, as well. Blend all ingredients until smooth.
4) Pour into a freezer-safe container. Place in the freezer and stir every 30 minutes until completely frozen (approximately 4 hours).
5) Allow to sit at room temperature for a few minutes before scooping and serving.