- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp coriander
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 large cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- One 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups uncooked red lentils
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Crusty bread for serving (optional)
- In a large saucepan or wok, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent.
- Add the garlic, cumin, curry powder, coriander, and ginger and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes with all their juices, stir, then add the coconut milk and broth and mix thoroughly.
- Add the celery, and cook for 10 minutes, until the celery softens slightly.
- Add the red lentils, mix thoroughly, then cook over medium heat for an additional 20 minutes, until lentils have absorbed the liquid and are tender. Stir occasionally to prevent from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Fold in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Top with parsley and serve with a side of crusty toasted bread.
Recipe adapted from feed me Phoebe