As we all know this year is coming to an end in a few days. The season of traditions, holidays, festivities and RESOLUTIONS are upon us. I know a lot of people say to not to write up resolutions because you may never end up following through with them, or you are planning too far ahead which could be setting yourself up for failure.
This is why, what I am about to write is not about resolutions but like the heading says, habits to be dropped this year.
I am not one to judge and I am simply writing this because I share some of these terrible habits, and there have been many times that I have slipped up and fallen back in. But nothing ever works if you don’t put in continuous effort.
I have decided to share some habits that I believe a lot of humans share and have in common. At least one of these habits apply to the average human. If none of them apply to you, kudos to you! You have done a great job. But, for the rest of us, below I have listed some habits, and reasons I feel they should be dropped.
1. Procrastination: YESSS!! This is the hardest of them all, I say this with no shame, I am a procrastinator, I am trying to work on it constantly. I’m sure we are all familiar with the phrase, “procrastination is the thief of time”. You need to drop this habit because, for every second you waste procrastinating, you could be doing something else valuable and it is as simple as that. If you have chores, or work that can be done in under 5 mins, why not just do them. Don’t leave them lying around because these things end up sneaking up on you. Stop wasting profitable time.
2. Assumptions: This is another one simply because people who make assumptions never go far. Making assumptions means overthinking and taking false action. People who want to become great know better than to always assume. If you have a question or if something is bothering you, just ASK. Don’t waste valuable time pondering and jumping into false conclusions. Assumptions are never the main ingredients for success. Therefore it needs to be DROPPED!
3. Constant Complaints: I would start this by saying complaining is useless. I learnt this the hard way, simply because I grew up being “daddy’s girl”. When reality snuck up on me, I thought I could complain and whine. Guess what? Complaining and whining about your mistakes, situation, misfortunes and setbacks are just a waste of time. You either suck it up and move on or hustle to make a change. You could utilize the time spent on complaining to make something happen. DROP the constant complaints
4. Constant comparison: When I was a kid, I would always compare myself to others who were doing better. I honestly never understood why? Because it never made me feel good about myself. It never brought up anything positive or creative in me rather just a huge hole of continuous hopelessness. Comparison is one of the worst things you could do to yourself. When you compare yourself with other people you constantly are taking away your chances for greatness. Instead of comparing, compete. You can do better than where you are today. The grass is only green when you water it.
5. Gossip: This one might seem very high school minded, but trust me it is not. A lot of people find themselves in situations where they are surrounded by gossips, and people who talk a lot about others, just for the sake of conversation. You need to drop this habit for the simple reason that, people who want to be great, don’t discuss other people but rather they discuss ideas. You also need to realize that people who tear other people down will one day tear you down too. Soo, DROP the gossiping.
6. Seeking Instant Results: I will try to say this in the friendliest/ nicest way possible, unless you are taking a clear blue pregnancy test or cooking instant noodles. Seeing instant results is a BIG FAD!! In everything, exercising, business, education. Name it. If you want to be successful at anything you need to understand that nothing great comes easy, you have to accept the grind, and always be ready to pay the price to achieve what you want in life. Nothing is ever INSTANT..
7. Negativity: No one and I mean no one ever gets ahead by being negative. I am not saying be constantly gleeful and full of positive vibes all the time. But being negative in whatever situation never changes it. Negativity opens up room for constant self doubt and emotional abuse/ strike down. Kill that little voice in your head that says “I can never do it”. Rise above it all and DROP the negativity!!
Those are my top and best 7!! We are humans, most of my articles are surrounded by the fact that we are not perfect, but we can be great people. Find the other habits, in your day – to – day life that needs to GO with 2016 and make 2017 a great year for you!
Happy New Year. You are worth it!!