Since the time change last weekend, the days are feeling significantly shorter, the weather’s gotten noticeably chillier, and we’ve even had our first flurries.
Winter is on its way.
So what better meal to come home to on these crisp fall evenings than this autumn inspired chicken dish that’s super easy to make and requires very few ingredients.
For the chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
For the sweet potatoes:
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- serve with a side of fresh baby spinach or salad greens in a light dressing
1) Preheat oven to 425°. Combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl. Whisk eggs together in a separate shallow bowl. One at a time, add the chicken breasts to the egg mixture, coat fully, then coat in dry mixture. Place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
2) While chicken is baking, bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Peel sweet potatoes and add to boiling water. Continue to boil for about 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are very soft when pierced with a knife. Drain water and mash sweet potatoes. Add two tablespoons of maple syrup to the potatoes and combine well. Divide mashed sweet potatoes equally among the four plates, and drizzle remaining maple syrup over top. Sprinkle chopped pecans overtop.
3) Remove chicken from the oven, divide among plates, and add a side of salad greens, if desired. Serve immediately.