In the summer, peaches are—hands down—my favourite fruit. It seems that they go out of season faster than you can pull out a recipe for a delicious peach torte or crumble, but for those fleeting moments, it truly is summertime bliss. As the days start to grow shorter and the summertime heat fades, all of the peaches promptly turn into fleshy blobs of mush that just aren’t nearly as appetizing as they were two weeks earlier.
Enter California cling peaches: the goodness of summertime peaches all year round. It’s like time travelling back (or forward) six months to farmer’s market fruit stands and peach cobbler. (Except that you’re standing in your kitchen as the blizzard rages on. But that’s not important.)
The above cling peach “cupcakes” are sure to impress just about any crowd. They’re delicate and sophisticated enough to serve at a brunch party, cute enough for a quick breakfast for the kiddies, and versatile enough to be made into a snack, breakfast or dessert. And all while soaking up the nutritional benefits of cling peaches (check out our list below!).
Makes 6 peach halves.
– 1 can cling peaches (6 peach halves)
– ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
– ¼ cup pomegranate arils
– 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350F. Open the can of peaches and scoop each peach half out, placing the rounded side down, on a wire rack set over a baking sheet (this helps to keep the rounded side of the peach half in place during baking).
- Place peaches into the heated oven and bake for 15 minutes. Then, leave in the oven on medium-broil for an additional 3-5 minutes, watching carefully and removing when the tops turn golden brown.
- Let peaches sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Top each half with one heaping tablespoon of Greek yogurt, sprinkle with pomegranate arils, and drizzle generously with honey!
Why enjoy cling peaches all year long?
- A study published in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture found canned peaches to be as (or even more) nutritionally dense as fresh peaches
- Vitamin E – essential for a strong immune system, along with healthy skin and eyes
- Vitamin C – essential for collagen formation which leads to strong bones, skin, blood vessels and other tissues