4 large potatoes
4 large sweet potatoes
¼ cup margarine or butter
3 cloves of garlic
2 sticks of celery
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground thyme
1 cup mushrooms
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
¼ cup red wine
¾ cup organic vegetable stock
1 tin of lentils
1 tin of chickpeas
5 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 lemon , juice of
½ cup breadcrumbs
1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Peel and chop the potatoes. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan and place the potatoes in the boiling water. Continue to boil until tender, then drain, return to the pan with margarine and 1 tbsp of the balsamic vinegar, and mash until smooth.
- Peel and finely slice the onion, carrots, garlic, mushrooms, and celery. Add to a large pan over medium heat with a splash of olive oil. Add in coriander and thyme. Add in the remaining balsamic vinegar, red wine, and vegetable stock and cook until vegetables are softened and liquid is reduced (about 20 minutes). Drain and stir in the lentils and chickpeas.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into a large casserole dish and evenly spread the mashed potatoes over top.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil and breadcrumbs. Stir to combine, then sprinkle breadcrumb mixture overtop the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until heated through, then switch oven to broil to cook the breadcrumbs.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and serve.
Enjoy this delicious vegan shepherd’s pie! We’d like to hear how yours turns out.
Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver